Thursday, March 12, 2009

Adding mixed numbers

Today's lesson was interesting in the beginning as pupils were selected to help me 'perform' in a magic trick. Pupils will choose a card randomly and teacher will choose two cards. The sum of the two cards will be the one pupil chose. Jing Ying did the first demonstration and I got it right!

However,Samantha chose a seven... and I got it wrong because I showed 2 cards that were threes... Luckily, I have the solution. By "magically" changing each card into a three-and a half of clubs, I was able to confirm that my prediction is correct. (Which card has 3 and a half anyway? Ah... That's where the magic comes in...)

Here's the image of the card...Now you have witnessed the incredible....

This activity was immediately followed up by explaining to the class that the card shown above is a mixed number. (A mixed number is a whole number and a proper fraction together).

To add two mixed numbers together, first we add the proper fractions together first, followed by the whole numbers. Bear in mind that while adding fractions, we must always find a common multiple before attempting the equation, or else the solution for the problem will be inaccurate.

After teaching how to add, (It's almost the same as adding unlike fractions!), the class played a game in pairs, using their calculator and the "RAN" button. I hope the class enjoyed the short activity and appreciate the effort of me thinking of the game for them.

Mr Xie.

No comments:

Post a Comment